If you're one of the 82% of women who suffer from PMS or period pain, this article is just for you. Here are 5 ways you can get rid of PMS and period pain naturally, and forever.
More than 72 million women in the US suffer from PMS and period pain. Until now, the response from the medical community, and society as a whole, has been "Well, that's just part of being a woman, deal with it."
Viv's period experts knows a better way. After years of research, and working with our clinical patients, we developed effective systems to help women deal with their worst period problems. We want to start a new conversation about periods. Change is possible. Better periods are possible. We envision a world without period shame, anxiety, and suffering — and it all starts right here.
- Exercise. Gotta get a move on, ladies, and do it on a regular basis. You don’t need to be doing spin classes and boot camps to get the benefit either. Research has shown that moderate, regular exercise was effective at significantly reducing cramps associated with menstruation. Even walking daily mixed with some yoga can get your blood pumping enough to reduce your cramping.
- Manage Stress. Our hectic daily lives stress out every system… especially your reproductive system. When you experience stress of any form, your body produces adrenaline in response and can cause an overproduction of cortisol. Yikes, the dreaded belly fat hormone. These high levels of stress and stress hormones affect liver function in the second half of your cycle and can contribute to both pms and cramping. Meditation, exercise and journaling have all been shown to reduce stress and the effects of stress on your body.
- Omega 3’s. Fish Oil and other Omega 3's have been shown to naturally reduce pain by improving blood flow. Omega 3’s can also help reduce the clotting (and some menstrual pain) with their anti-inflammatory, antioxidant rich nutrients. They also decrease prostaglandin production related to menstrual cramping pain.
- Magnesium. If you have a magnesium deficiency (only 20% of Americans get the RDA of magnesium), studies show supplementing with Magnesium could make help your cramps better. Alcohol, caffeine, sodas, sugar and processed foods can leech magnesium from your body leaving you prone to more cramping. Food is probably the easiest way to naturally supplement your magnesium intake, so reach for more leafy vegetables, beets, beans, shrimp and salmon to increase your daily intake.
- Live the Good Life: Yoga, sleep, hydration, healthy eating — what do they all have in common? They reduce the amount of both physical and psychological stress that you have in your life. That's why this recommendation might be the most important. There's one simple fact when it comes to period problems: the more stressed you are, both physically and emotionally, the worse your symptoms are going to get. So do yourself a big favor and get some rest, eat right, and do whatever you can to take care of your body — it will pay you back big time.
Are you still suffering from PMS and period pain? What would your life be like if you didn't have to?
"It's the 21st century. No woman should have to suffer from unnecessary PMS and period pain," says Viv's founder and period expert Kirsten Karchmer. "The fact is that we've been lied to, and I mean for centuries. This whole 'oh that's just part of being a woman' thing is a bunch of BS. Being a total badass is part of being a woman. Suffering every month is not."
That's why Karchmer, and her team of women's health experts, have been working for nearly 20 years to build the perfect PMS and period pain supplements. Karchmer recommends that women focus on all-natural solutions, like these supplements for PMS and period cramps.
"It's unfortunate, but most of the over-the-counter things that you buy at the corner store, are actually really bad for you," says Karchmer. "In fact there's a ton of evidence that says that women that take NSAIDs — like aspirin, ibuprofen, or acetaminophen — for painful periods should be aware of the substantial risk of adverse effects. That's why we knew we had to launch this really effective line of supplements that we'd developed just for our clinical patients."
This need for natural PMS and period pain relief is probably why Karchmer has become a fixture for a new generation of women that are looking to not live in fear of their periods, but to really understand them. Karchmer has been a featured women's health expert by brands like Huffington Post, GOOP, MindBodyGreen, THINX, Medium, and more.
Karchmer's core formulas were developed during her clinical career, where she treated more than 10,000 women who were suffering from all kinds of menstrual problems like endometriosis, PMDD, PCOS, infertility, dysmenorrhea, PMS, and just about anything else you can think of. "I didn't want to stop at just my patients," she says, "I knew there were women all over the country that could benefit from what we were doing in my clinic. That's why I made Viv — to get these same great formulas out to women all over the world."
Viv launched with just their two core herbal supplements. Unwind focuses on PMS symptoms like bloating, moodiness, irritability, stress, anxiety, sleeplessness, other hormonal issues. Relieve helps with period cramps and is meant to be taken during your period to promote healthy menstruation. Both are all-natural, gluten free, hypoallergenic, made in the USA, and targeted specifically to address women's worst menstrual issues. They are $29 each and available only on her website.
Karchmer wasn't always so interested in periods, in fact, it wasn't until she was diagnosed with MS in early 20's that she really started paying attention to what her body was telling her. "What I learned was that my light periods were a sign that my body didn’t have the basic resources that it needed to keep my reproductive system healthy. In fact, I had run myself so ragged that I no longer had the basic resources my body needed to do anything! During my treatment, I used my menstrual cycle to measure the progress that I was making. As my health improved, my cycle became more and more regular, " she says.
Ultimately, that's why Karchmer started her women's health clinics. "It’s been really amazing to see women come in with something like fertility issues or painful periods, and leave with a whole new understanding of how things like diet, sleep, exercise, stress, and mindfulness don’t just influence their reproductive systems, but their health as a whole. Out of all the different techniques we use in my clinics, I found that our herbal supplements really made the biggest difference for women who want to improve their periods or fertility."
"When someone breaks down in tears, and says that our supplements have given them their life back, that really makes it worth it," she says, "mission accomplished."
What Women Are Saying About Viv
Change your period with Viv today.
Viv's helped thousands of women change their periods. Reclaim the worst days of your month with Viv.